We pride ourselves on our employees and meticulous facilities. When you work at RL Hudson & Rapid Production Tooling, you’re a part of something great. We are a rapidly growing, family owned company that specializes in solving problems and increasing value for our customers. Many of the world’s most sophisticated manufacturing companies rely on us for a wide range of components, including molded rubber, molded plastic, formed hoses, sealing devices and custom assemblies. These large OEMs turn to RL Hudson & Rapid Production Tooling when they need innovative design solutions, excellent service, reliable quality and delivery at a great value. We are constantly looking for talented individuals to join our team. Let’s explore the possibilities together.
|Mold Design Engineer
The plastic injection Molding Design Engineer is primarily responsible and accountable for design of molds and related components ensuring customer specifications are met and they meet appropriate quality standards.
· Take a part model from customer and analyze moldability, draft requirements, verify part model matches print, and create a power point presentation with the results.
· Use customer specifications for mold class, cavitation, type of runner system and gating.
· Add a shrink rate to part model and create an assembly of parts and runners for mold design and or mold flow when necessary.
· Create a quick preliminary layout to review internally and with customers.
· Work with program manager and engineering manager to develop best mold design.
· After reviews continue to complete mold design.
· Use a check list developed by Rapid to review your own design.
· After final internal design review by engineering manager make necessary changes.
· Design for manufacturing so toolroom is efficient as possible.
· Create complete BOM’s
· Create 2D drawings when needed.
· Overlay part models from customers when engineering changes are required and create a power point to describe the changes.
· Make changes to mold design including inserting areas or welding depending on customer’s request.
· Use standard mold components as much as possible.
· Analyze parts with various measuring equipment when necessary.
· Work with toolmakers during build to improve manufacturability and functionality.
· Attend sample of molds for functionality and quality.
Education and Experience
· Bachelors or Associates degree in plastics engineering and injection mold design or 10 years equivalent job experience required.
· 5 years in a manufacturing and molding environment.
· Qualified individuals do not need all skills listed to be considered, a strong desire to learn any skills that are lacking will be taken into consideration.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Must have a working knowledge of plastic injection molds.
· Proficient is CAD software specifically Solid Works.
· Able to analyze plastic part models for moldability of part, proper draft required for shutoffs, proper draft required for textures and polished finishes.
· Able to take a part model from customer through to develop a complete mold design.
· Knowledge of shrink rates of different resins.
· Understanding single cavity molds and high cavitation molds.
· Understanding the classifications of molds. Class 101, 102, 103, etc.
· Able to DFM so the mold makers are efficient in their machine operations.
· Able to problem solve working with Toolmakers and Process Engineers.
· Able to work with customers on a professional level.
· Able to overlay part models to analyze and describe differences for engineering changes.
· Able to create 2D drawings from mold design when needed.
· Knowledge of Solid Works mold flow a plus.
· Knowledge of hot runner systems and their manufactures.
· Ability to work with outside vendors.
· Knowledge of GD&T
· Proficient in Microsoft products including PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
· Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
· Able to program and operate CNC equipment a plus.
· Ability to learn new technology and strategies.
SPECIAL JOB DIMENSIONS:
This position is occasionally exposed to the following environmental conditions: subject to air and/or skin exposure to oils and/or other hazardous materials, sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level and one or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or skin: fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation
This position is constantly protected from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
Note: The essential job functions and associated physical and mental requirements contained in this document describe the general nature and level of the work performed by personnel assigned to the job. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive listing or be inclusive of all aspects of the job. The tasks and procedures involved in the performance of the job responsibilities may vary from day-to-day. Major changes in areas of responsibility will require revision of this job description.